We believe that iT is only through education that children will, with determination and perseverance, transcend their current level of poverty and improve the financial circumstances of their own lives and the lives of their families.

aBOUT eLEANGaNNY

Located in the southeastern state of Tamil Nadu, Eleanganny is a Christian community based largely in agriculture. Most men and women are laborers. They work for hours each day in the fields, tending rice, sugarcane and peanuts by hand. The pay is minimal and the work is difficult.   

A family is considered very fortunate to own one or two cows. Still, those fortunate families are not often landowners. They may graze their cattle in ditches and empty lots. Any small amount of land they may own would be used to grow crops for the family's own food needs.

The children

of Eleanganny

Children raised in these economic circumstances live on very little. They see their parents work long and hard hours, and must believe over time, that this is "just the way things are."


Parents do try to prioritize education for their children, knowing that education is the only way their children will have a chance to lead lives with choices and possibilities.

However, with an annual salary of around $800 it is impossible for them to educate all of their children. Heartbreaking choices must be made. 

No Parent should have to choose which of their children should have opportunities. We believe all of these children should have a chance to be educated.

School Costs in Eleanganny

Tuition is expensive for Indian families. Tuition can start at $80 per year for elementary school, and increase to $280 per year as the child progresses through high school.

 

Access to Scholarships and government student loans do not exist in the way they do in the US, so parents must find ways to continue financial support for their children to attend college.

 

A college education affords a family the best opportunity for a better future. However, a college education is a goal that may feel unattainable to most families because of the  high cost to them.

FOCI in Eleanganny

Because we see that education is the only true opportunity to change the lives of these children, we provide tuition support to children in need.

 

Up to 75% of the child's full annual tuition is provided to alleviate the financial strain of this cost for the parent. The family must contribute the remaining 25% portion. We assist the family in covering the costs but do not exempt them from the financial responsibility for their child's education.

 

 

Each year, the child's circumstance is reassessed. If they have successfully completed the prior year and are able to be promoted to the next grade, we will again assist the family in paying that child's tuition costs. If the child is not promoted to the next grade, our support for that child will end.  If they work hard to succeed, FOCI will continue to support that effort.  

It’s really amazing to think how this For One Child of India organization started and now it is ready to dispel the darkness in the lives of future generations of India--especially where I grew and roamed. Somebody lit the light in my life through education and that helped me to come all the way to Central Wisconsin.

 

Nelson Mandela said that “Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.” Now I am very proud and happy that this FOCI organization has taken the challenges to contribute a little bit of change in this world through this great weapon of education. I am very sure this program will help many to see the bright future in their lives. Don’t you feel proud that you are the reason? You are helping the fire to be kindled. 

 

Your support can help change lives for the better. So I would like to thank everyone who has been involved with the For One Child of India organization especially the committee members for their efforts and support. God give your reward.

                                            

A message from father raj.

© 2019 by For One Child of India, Inc.

FOCI is a 501(c)3 Charitable Organization

​​Call us: 715-387-4135  

Website designed by

Elizabeth Meinders

  • Facebook Social Icon